because of college applications.

9:14 PM

Oh but darling,
what if we were allowed to say no?







As if 
we were
whatever we wished to be.

As if
she
called the shots.

As if
poetry wasn't an assignment
and
we all found ourselves 
because we went looking

and not because someone older & wiser tapped you on the shoulder.


As if
I didn't mind
coming home to an unmade bed.

As if undocumented was the thing to be,
As if no one asked me what I want to grow up to be,
As if I didn't already know
because it hadn't been pieced together
by the
questions
questions
questions
since we sat down at our desks.

As if
I weren't proud of it.


"and as 17 creeps closer and closer to 18, I can't help but dread the moment that clock strikes twelve"
-celeste cobain


You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. my bed is never made so it's ok
    it's ok and this is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As if...

    This is very very good.

    "As if
    poetry wasn't an assignment"

    That line did something to me.

    And great use of another writer's quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as if.
    this is so beautiful, i want more

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Oh but darling,
    what if we were allowed to say no?" mmmmmm. yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't we allowed to say no? The real question (for me anyways) is "will I allow myself to say it?".

    ReplyDelete
  6. As if
    poetry wasn't an assignment
    and
    we all found ourselves
    because we went looking

    yesssss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As if poetry weren't an assignment...

    Your writing gets better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As if undocumented was the thing to be

    this is great.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images